Cooking pasta may seem easy — just boil water and add the desired noodle of your choice — but there are tips you can follow to achieve pasta perfection.
Here’s a round-up of tips we like:
- Wait for a rapid boil. If you put the pasta in the water early, it will absorb too much water and become mushy.
- Stir the pasta within the first two minutes after putting the pasta in the water. Timing is crucial because it you are late to stir, pasta will stick and cook together.
- Place lid on the pot to bring back to a boil and then take it off once it’s boiling again.
- Once the water is boiling again, the cook time will be between 8-12 minutes.
- Prepare your sauce in a skillet while the pasta is cooking, so it’s hot and ready when the pasta is done. (A heated sauce plus a hot pasta equals maximum absorption and flavor!)
- Test doneness of the pasta 2-3 minutes before the end of the suggested cooking time. Pasta will continue cooking while you are turning off the burner and draining it.
- Do not rinse the pasta. It will cool off the pasta and lessen its potential to fully absorb the sauce.
- Let the pasta and sauce cook together for 2 minutes to give them a chance to thoroughly blend.