The addition of crab adds a level of complexity to a household favorite and is sure to please your guests.
Elbow Macaroni & Cheese with Crab
- Prep Time
- Difficulty Level Beginner
- 4 T. butter
- 1 large shallot (or 2 small), minced
- 4 T. all-purpose flour
- 3 c. milk
- 1 T. seafood seasoning
- 1 (8-ounce) block cream cheese
- 2 c. grated Manchego cheese
- 1 c. grated Cheddar cheese
- 2 T. freshly chopped parsley leaves
- 2 T. sherry
- 1 lb Cervasi Elbow Macaroni
- 1 lb crabmeat (lump)
- For Breadcrumb Topping
- 4 T. butter, melted
- 1 c. bread crumbs
- 2 t. Old Bay seafood seasoning
- 1 T. fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat the over to 375˚ F.
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium. Add minced shallots and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Make a roux by adding the flour and cooking for about 2-3 minutes. Sauce should thicken to a paste-like texture.
- Slowly incorporate milk into the roux. Add seafood seasoning, sherry and cream cheese.
- Cook until cream cheese is fully melted. Then add Manchego, Cheddar and parsley. Cook until all cheese is fully melted.
- Cook pasta in salted water until just about al dente. (The pasta will continue to cook in the oven.) Drain pasta.
- Stir cheese sauce and cooked pasta together. Fold in crab meat, delicately to preserve chunks. Pour mixture into a 9 x 13 or equivalent baking dish.
- To make topping, Combine melted butter, bread crumbs, seafood seasoning and parsley. Sprinkle evenly on top of pasta mixture.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the top is golden and crispy. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve immediately.