A staple recipe for any Italian kitchen, Cervasi pasta sauce can be used in a variety of recipes. Make this ahead of time, for quick and easy dinner solutions.
Cervasi's Pasta Sauce
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Beginner
- ¼ cup Cervasi® Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1 (28-ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon basil
- Red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- 5–6 links Italian sausage and/or 8 medium meatballs
- Fry meatballs (and/or sausage) in skillet, set aside.
- Saute onions in olive oil until translucent, add garlic and then cook until golden.
- Add tomato paste, puree and water, stir until smooth.
- Add the cooked meat plus salt, pepper, basil, sugar and pepper flakes, if desired.
- When sauce begins to boil, turn heat to medium and cook for about one hour, stirring often. Add water if sauce become too thick.