This dish has a delicious, creamy tomato sauce, accented with the saltiness of prosciutto. Great meal when entertaining or for a dinner for two.
Penne ala Vodka
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Advanced
- ½ pound Prosciutto
- 2 pounds Cervasi® Penne Ziti pasta
- 1 ½ large white onions, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons Italian parsley leaves, finely chopped
- ½ fresh basil, chopped
- 1.3 quarts tomato sauce (or blended peeled Italian tomatoes, canned)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 quart heavy cream, reduced by half
- ¾ cup vodka
- 2 tablespoons Cervasi Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- salt and pepper
- Finely dice the prosciutto and set it aside.
- Place sauté pan on medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and the butter. When the butter melts and becomes foamy, add the chopped onions. Let it sauté until crispy, and do not let it brown.
- Add the diced prosciutto, mix it in, lower the heat and cover for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomato sauce, mix it in, let it simmer for another 20 minutes, then add the parsley. Simmer for 3 minutes, add the reduced heavy cream and the vodka. Mix it all well and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- While mixture simmers, bring 2 tsp. salted water to a boil, add the penne at once, lower the heat to medium, partially cover the pot. Let it cook for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, then drain.
- Check the consistency of sauce, simmer for another 10 minutes if you need to, season and mix in the cooked penne. Let it simmer for 2 minutes add basil and serve it HOT!